Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Cowl Neck shirt

Here's my latest project-the cowl neck shirt.
Look closely-those sleeves are upside-down. Whoops! The part that is supposed to be the cuff is sewed to the shoulder seam. I think it looks fine, so I'm just going with it.

Here's the trickiest part about sewing with jersey-the stretch stitch. The stretch stitch takes twice as long as the regular stitch and uses lots of thread. For me, though the worst part is that it's less forgiving. I've come to accept that in every single project I do, I will make a mistake and need to rip out a seam. The stretch stitch is very difficult to rip out.

Anyway, I'm not sure I'm done with this shirt. It's kind of plain. I might add some embroidery? I'm not sure. Either way, it's a nice shirt that cost about $6.

Up next. A simple jersey dress! Can't wait!

3 comments:

  1. I came across your blog through facebook looking at Improv Diary's page! You have done such a great job on the dress and top! This color is great and I love the cowl. I used a stretch stitch when I was sewing, but you could use a narrow zigzag instead and have the same effect - it would be easier to rip out!!! I think Nicole and Debra are going to start a flickr group - you may want to put your photos there!! Great work! (where are you finding our knits?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The melon knit for the dress was at fancy tiger in Denver. The blue slightly ribbed knit for the cowl and the fabric for my upcoming dress project is from the Denver Fabrics bargain bin (both were $3.97 per yard!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irish...this looks SO sweet...the sleeves look great too...it's all about making the mistakes work for you, and you did. One tip to get it right next time: I labeled my paper sleeve pattern with helpful clues like "shoulder center" and "underarm seam" and "sleeve opening" -- then before I attach my sleeve piece, I just lay it on top of that pattern and double-check that I understand which way it's supposed to lie. I double-check everything. By the way, the first time i did sleeve i attached it wrong three times in a row...

      Delete